Fortune may favour the brave but that's hard to remember when life is kicking you in the nuts. Here's twenty-one relentlessly optimistic reasons to remember that when you're at rock bottom, the only way is up.
- In her youth, J.K. Rowling was a Bay City Rollers' fan, proving that early bad taste is no barrier to subsequent success.
- Stephenie Meyer is a bestseller, proving that subsequent bad taste is no barrier to early success.
- It only took one cow to burn
- John Howard became Prime Minister.
- The greatest love songs are inspired by the worst heartbreak.
- Pauline Hanson's parents didn't drown her at birth.
- When baby Jessica McLure fell down a 22ft well, it took rescue workers fifty-eight hours to free her. If they didn't give up, why should you?
- Despite the common knowledge that they go swimmingly with mint sauce and roast vegetables, spring lambs continue to gambol and frolic like there's no tomorrow.
- Elton John once married a woman. Now there's optimism with a capital O.
- Male black widow spiders know they're going to be eaten (and not in a good way) straight after doing the wild thing. Still, they do it.
- Beethoven was completely deaf.
- Van Gogh was bat shit crazy.
- Salman Rushdie started out as a copywriter and he's still around to talk about it. (That counts as two.)
- The Ayatollah bit it first.
- Before he became a household name, Jesus was a carpenter, as was Harrison Ford, although the latter wasn't formally qualified. Now that I think about it, it's highly unlikely that Jesus' apprenticeship papers were ever checked.
- Dave Allen died in his sleep, proving once and for all that God has a sense of humour.
- Salmon swim incredible distances upstream, inviting death by hungry bear just to spawn. I mean, not even to have sex, but just to spawn.
- Lightning misses most of the time (although one American was hit seven times. Having survived them all, he shot himself. Try to pull some optimism out of that.)
- Sometimes glasses bounce.
- Madonna was once so poor she had to pose nude for money. It must have grown on her because when she was rich she kept doing it.
- Tom Cruise became a movie star despite being dyslexic.
- Nicole Kidman became a movie star despite being Nicole Kidman.
- Dan Brown calls himself a writer and hasn't been sued for libel yet.
- Innumeracy is no barrier to being a writer.
- Keith Richards is still breathing. If that isn't testament to optimism, I don't know what is.
© 2012 Susan Bennett
Yazz - The Only Way Is Up.